While the thought of living in the Middle East on the Persian Gulf right across from Iran initially scared the you know what out of some of us, we are totally excited. About 80% of the population are expatriates from all over the world. There are a lot of Europeans and Indians and even Filipinos. You can dress how you normally do and they are more tolerant of Western ways than most Muslim countries. Plus they shun drinking and pornography, so as Mormons, we welcome that aspect. It is very forward thinking and they are building a branch of the Guggenheim and Louve there and there will even be a branch of NYU there. There is great shopping and beaches and of course, camel races!
Why are we moving? Well, Chris was offered a job we could not refuse. He is working for Textura. They have construction payment processing software. And there is a TON of construction going on in A.D. and Dubai. They are using 25% of the world's cranes. So there is a lot of work there. The company is paying for everything. We will have a 5 bedroom villa like triple the size of our house now, they pay for a car, all utilities, travel back to the states once a year, travel to Europe, or Asia, or India once a year, and private American schools for the kids. We just thought it would be a wonderful once in a lifetime experience for the kids and for us. It will it be challenging, I'm sure, especially with a new baby. But we are totally up for it and are excited to start our adventure.
Chris will be leaving in October for Abu Dhabi and will hopefully be back in time for the baby to be born and Christmas. Then we will be leaving as soon as we can after that. School re-starts Jan. 2 there and we're hoping to make it in time for that. There are so many things to work out plus I have to pack up a whole household and figure out what to keep and store, what we need to bring and what to get rid of while I'm 8 months pregnant. Should be fun!http://www.exploreabudhabi.ae/en/default.aspx
10 comments:
so awesome for you guys! what an experience!
i don't think i'll ever be over the jealousy. add that to the fact that we won't get to see you very often, and i'm going to be selfishly bummed.
we're thinking of going down in october for a marathon (dave) and i thought i could stay a few days and help...if i can. i want to see you guys again before you leave.
Sounds super exciting! We're happy for you guys. Chris, will you be swimming the Strait of Hormuz?
that is so awesome. it is going to be such a great time for you all, and i can't wait to see all the pics and hear the stories.
love you guys!
Holy cow! ...or should I say holy...camel???
I echo the comment above. ;)
I had no idea!!! What an awesome opportunity!!!! Wow, that is so cool. You will have some pretty amazing blog material for us, that's for sure.
Rebecca
thanks for the blog Ellie, but my tummy and heart feels very anxious right now. Let me know what i can do to help. we love and miss you so much already.
WHAT? That is so crazy and exciting. I can't even imagine! How long will you stay? I would love to help you with anything you need, maybe Wade can find a good job there! Ha ha. You will be missed!
You are going to love it! I'll check in on you from time to time via your blog- say hi to the wonderful ward members out there for us!
Erin Allen
I heard that and am so excited for your family. My sister in law was telling what a wonderful place it is there. We will be super sad for you guys to leave our ward. But I am sure you guys will have the best experiance. And you totally have to take Julia and I up on offers to help you while chris is gone! Good luck!!!
Wow! I think it sounds like an adventure. Joe and I were thinking of moving to Brazil when Taylor was little but it never worked out. Let me know if I can help in any way!
Post a Comment